Saturday, June 12, 2010

Whirlwinds

The weather so far this summer has kind of sucked - lots of rain mixed with not 90-degree weather, which I prefer.  However, today's bad weather didn't stop me from dropping by John's birthday bar crawl, meeting Courtney for dinner and then Mike for drinks.  It was a whirlwind of getting from point A to B on public transit (I'm trying to spend less money on cabs). 


Right now, World Cup fever is amongst us and I have to say, I think soccer is kind of boring.  I've seen many a 2OT 0-0 tie and that is just not exciting.  Yes, I understand the concept of hot men running around a field showing off their athletic skills for two hours is exciting to some, but I'd take football or basketball over soccer any day. I would venture to guess that once the WC is over, most people won't utter the word "soccer" again for four years.

But, I guess it's SOMETHING to distract Chicago from the fact that both baseball teams are awful and the Bulls choked in the first round of the playoffs.  Yes, it is great the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup but most of the city, from what I've heard, hardly cares about hockey.

This afternoon I also met someone who went to high school with J.J Reddick, this was of course AFTER I spent a good ten minutes talking about how much I hate Duke.  Oops.  This happens to me all the time.  I'll start talking about how much I hate a team and then ten minutes later find out the person I'm talking to has strong connections to the team I just bashed.  It would be nice if they could stop me sooner instead of letting me drone on like an idiot, though I suppose that IS more fun.

1 comment:

  1. Reva, Reva, Reva. Don't jump on the Soccer Hater bandwagon, Vuvuzela hatred bandwagon maybe, but not the soccer hating bandwagon.

    The World Cup has only generated two draws thus far and on average there are 1.6 goals per game.

    That being said it is not the number of goals that determine the quality of the game but the number of opportunities and quality of play.

    If you are worried about investing your time only to see a draw then don't give up on the sport, simply wait until the second round of the World Cup. At that point you will have 16 of the best teams in the World playing in a win or go home match-ups. Lose and you leave the World stage for four years, that makes for a fun and exciting dynamic even if you don't love every crisp pass and quality finish.

    ReplyDelete