Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Straight No Chaser

This evening I volunteered at WTTW (public TV here in Chicago) for a pledge drive.  Yes, I was one of those people you see in the background while the host implores you to donate for a good cause.  Well tonight the in-studio guest was Straight No Chaser, which is the whole reason I chose this particular night.  The "gift with purchase" so to speak was tickets to their Dec 11th concert. 

First of all, the three guys from SNC who came out could not have been nicer.  And also, since I was apparently in a prime location, a couple of times one of them came over to speak to the person making a contribution, mostly to thank them for their support (although Dan Ponce kept asking for the Blackhawks score, which sadly nobody had).  As a result I got to see myself on TV (helloooo double chin) and also, thank goodness I had the foresight to wear black.  Truly hides everything.

The evening actually exceeded my expectations.  I was afraid I was going to get a bunch of crazy callers accusing me of being personally responsible for the BP oil spill but everyone I spoke with was incredibly nice.  I also met two other volunteers who were really nice, one of whom gave me a ride to the brown line - a nice gesture considering we were PAST the end of it in a neighborhood I would venture to guess is not all that safe at night, the other whom spent the majority of the night subtly staring at DR's ass with me because it was RIGHT THERE and all the SNC boys are SO cute and charming.

Anyway, considering I had to go to 5400N/3400W, the neighborhood alone was a new adventure.  But, I enjoyed my experience and would certainly volunteer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment