Thursday, June 3, 2010

So Long Sheena Queen of the Slut People

Today was a very said day as we bid a "see y'all" to Blanche Deveraux as she sailed off to the big lanai in the sky.  As a huge Golden Girls fan, this is indeed a sad day for me.  However, my mourning period will truly start tomorrow night when Katie and I partake in a mini GG marathon as a tribute. 

As a belated celebration for my friend Heather's birthday, a group of us went and saw Sex and the City 2 this evening.  Yes, it's as bad as it looks.  There were approximately three real moments in the two-and-a-half hour fiasco.

Real Moment #1: Carrie is bitching to Stanford about how all Mr. Big wants to do is sit in the apartment and order takeout and watch black and white movies. (Really?  I don't see the problem).  Stanford responds, "Count your blessings, don't you remember when you couldn't even get him to spend the night?"  Seriously, for six seasons all we did was listen to her whine about how Big wouldn't commit.  Now he's committing.  What's the issue?

Real Moment #2: Charlotte and Miranda get drunk and talk about how hard it is to be a mother.  Now, of course I'm not one, but I can imagine how hard it is to be one and how frustrating it can be and them admitting they didn't love it all the time was a very honest moment.

Real Moment #3 (and spoiler): After Carrie kisses Aiden and subsequently tells Big who is subsequently upset she is crying to Charlotte about it and says something along the lines of, "Aiden reminds me of who I used to be, and that was a girl running all over NYC trying to make the love of her life love her back."  Girl, I've been there.  And that was probably the only moment that struck a chord with me.

Okay, fine, and Liza Minnelli singing "Single Ladies" at Stanford and Anthony's wedding (no, I don't get it either) was also pretty awesome.

After the movie, we went down the street for $5 martinis.  I ordered mine dirty, which turned out to basically be straight vodka, so I couldn't really drink it.

I'm glad I saw the movie just because my curiosity got the better of me but I truly hope that this is where it ends.  I mean...enough already.  Nothing has changed.  All the characters are the same and I think the actresses are probably so sick of the people they play that they stopped acting - seriously, the acting was also horrible.

Since we have HBO on Demand in our apartment, I'm currently watching the series finale to remind myself that it wasn't always this bad.

And I will leave you with this final thought: we all know Blanche was the original Samantha Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment