Thursday, July 1, 2010

fail

This project is a giant failure!!  My life isn't interesting enough to write about every day.  But, the past few months I have been thinking about regret. 

One of my favorite quotes (that I discovered in college when debating whether or not to transfer) is: "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."  It is credited to someone named Sydney Harris, who I have never heard of (but according to Wikipedia, the authority figure in everything, was a journalist).


The problem with this is that no matter what you do, follow this advice or don't, you'll still have something to regret.  Examples:


1) I transferred colleges my junior year and my first semester at U of I was one of the hardest of my life, leaving me to wonder, "what if I hadn't left Miami."  But if I hadn't left Miami, I would always wonder what would have happened if I did.


2) Upon graduating college, I had no job and had enough money to go anywhere (granted I got a job).  I seriously considered moving to Miami, but was too scared, so stayed in NH.  So, I didn't take the financial risk of moving somewhere without a job, but now I'll never know what would have happened if I had.


So, while this quote is inspiring after you took a risk and did something stupid, does it ever really help you??

No comments:

Post a Comment