Monday, May 31, 2010

Excuses, Excuses

Today was my mom's last day in town.  We planned on going on an architectural boat cruise but were met with a torrential downpour so instead we made a trip to the Chicago History Museum.  It is free on Mondays but even if it weren't it would be worth every penny.  I was extremely impressed and I don't normally LOVE museums.

After that, we went shopping and then to the Cheesecake Factory for wine and appetizers.  Now we're watching Sex and the City (the actual series, as I refuse to watch the second movie.  Refuse.)

It's the very last episode when everything falls into place and they did such a good job tying everything up and then RUINED it with not one but TWO movies.  The show was so honest and the movies were so superficial.  But, it got me thinking about dating.

It is safe to say we've all used a lame/unbelievable excuse in our day to get out of a date.  I've been guilty of that for sure.  I think the worst was, "my roommate is really hungover so I need to take care of her."  Keep in mind this 1) wasn't true, and 2) had it been true she probably wouldn't have wanted to see me and would have been happier just hanging out in her room.  I've sunken as low as to completely ignore date requests (because, you know, they happen so frequently), so it got me to thinking, what are the worst excuses I've heard?

-- I'm grounded (okay, so I was fed this excuse in high school, but considering a week later he started going out with someone else, it remains the lamest of the lame).
-- I have to study (lie)
-- It's guys night out (also a lie)
-- I'm bowling (what???)
-- I'm tired (LAME)
-- I'm not over my ex-girlfriend (double lame)
-- I'm busy? (can you please be more specific?)
-- I'm out of town for the next seven weekends in a row (unlikely)
-- I would actually rather die than go on a date with you (fair enough).

In the end, is honesty the best policy?  Aren't we adult enough to say, "I just don't want to date you?"  Is it really that hard?  Stringing someone along or sending mixed messages is way worse than just being direct, right?  Either that or someone all but says it and you're just too dense to realize so you spend two years making up excuses while consistently making a fool out of yourself and getting hurt (not me.  someone else).

In this next year, I'm going to strive to be more honest instead of taking the easy way out (not that I'm dishonest, I've just never been able to say hey Mr. Tom Brady, thank you for the interest, but I'd rather not date you).

No comments:

Post a Comment