Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Time Has Come

The time has finally come for me to rant and rave about my late but better than never birthday present of Jim Tressel resigning as head football coach at THE Ohio State University.

When I woke up on Memorial Day, both my Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds were exploding because of the announcement.  

Now, anyone who knows me knows why I despise the man.  But as the situation continues to unravel, it just keeps getting better and better for me.

It’s not the crime, it’s the cover-up.  It’s the BS internal investigation that the school went through so they could reinstate all ineligible players and beat Arkansas in their BCS bowl (Sugar?  Fiesta?  I don’t even remember and don’t care enough to look it up).

Now, the avalanche is falling – Tressel had to resign in disgrace and you would hope Gene Smith is next .  Can a school fire its president?  If so, it should, because E. Gordon Gee is the dumbest of them all.  It goes beyond trading memorabilia for tattoos.  Terelle Pryor has been depositing checks, IN WRITING, for memorabilia and no one bothered to check his bank account (which apparently schools have access to do)?

One of the things that bothered me most about Columbus was the holier than thou, we’re better than everyone else, our football team can do no wrong attitude that came flying at us from every direction – and it turns out the school’s beloved sweater-vest wearing skeeztastic cheater man, his boss, and his bosses boss were all up to no good, and have been since about 2002.  I don’t care if players accepted benefits for their own autographs, etc.  All these jackasses are getting full rides to a DI school and most of them won’t even take advantage and graduate, they will just float on over to the NFL (or the UFL/jail if you’re Maurice Clarrett) and make millions of dollars.
And yeah, I know, every school does it, this is not me preaching about how Miami has never had compliance issues or USC’s punishment was unfair.  This is just nine years of calling Tressel a cheater, justified.  Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment